Friday, October 20, 2006

My Newest Addiction...

...is this blogging lark. Since my last post I came home, had dinner, sent a few texts and then read a few of my coursemates' blogs, and now I've had the uncontrollable urge to post again! My fourth of the day! Mr Horrie, you may have opened Pandora's box...

I was just reading Ash's blog, and I have to completely agree with the positive comments Chris Horrie has been making about it. I think I could learn a lot from Ash's attitude towards journalism.

I have to admit (rather sheepishly now) that I have been inclined over the last few emotionally charged weeks to get rather carried away with my snap judgments of certain situations.

Take David's now infamous video journalism lecture for example. I relent that, rather than calmly assessing the core points behind what was perceived by many as an obituary to print journalism, I marched outside, telephoned my mother and informed her that I was likely to be on the dole for coming years as an unskilled member of society.

Reading the way Ash, and some of my other coursemates, dealt with the issue so maturely and diplomatically, has made me see what I've suspected for a good couple of weeks. That this course is not only going to mould me professionally, but also as a person. Mary-Ann blogged recently on the fact that good journalists learn from each other, and I couldn't agree more.

I feel extremely humbled by some of the people I've met so far at Westminster. I am learning something new every day. Amongst other things, I have learnt that I am not as mature as I thought. Also that my take on a situation is not the only way to look at it. Every single situation is open to debate and different points of view. Not one of these points of view is definitive, they are all mutually enriching. This is also important in journalism. If there were only one way to interpret or convey a situation then I would not even be on this course, because there would only be a few people reporting on every event.

I am really excited (although a little nervous) about continuing to challenge myself over the coming year, both professionally and personally. I'm sure I will still be headstrong and belligerent, and voice opinions at inappropriate times and with a false assumption of grandeur, but I am really going to try and curb these habits and use what I am learning from those around me. I am beginning to realise that in many ways, my greatest teachers are my coursemates.

2 comments:

Rosalind said...

I don't think you can ever have a false assumption of grandeur. Keep doing it.

Dr David Dunkley Gyimah said...

I saw this today at a museum. It said "Those who observe will learn from their surroundings. Those that look but cannot see will leave non the wiser".

It made me think about my job as a lecturer and journalist. Ours is a continuing evolution of learning and growing.