Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Ten Puzzling Questions

Why do people wander aimlessly across my path in the tube station when I am in a particular rush to be somewhere, but rush to move out of my way when I have time to spare?

Why do customers insist on being ignorant and pig-headed when I have been forced to go into work on a busy day with a ferocious hangover, but engage in polite chit-chat when the shop is quiet and I am well-slept?

Why does my hair invariably decide to curl into a corkscrewed mess on a potentially hot first date, but remain sleek and straight on a study day at the library?

Why does my computer crash on the rare occasion that I am engaging in some academically relevant activity, but work like a dream when I am wasting time on myspace?

Why do my tights ladder before an important interview, but stay in perfect condition when I wear them under jeans to keep warm when no one can see them?

Why do clothes shops supply an abundance of beautiful but expensive garments when I am about to declare myself bankrupt, but contain nothing but plus-sizes and grey jumpers when I have just been paid and am braced to embark upon a mammoth shopping spree?

Why do I fall ill before an important exam, but remain in perfect health when I have nothing better to do than surf the net for amusing stories concerning David Gest?

Why do online book stores charge extortionate prices for my course books, but sell every other book in stock for excellent value?

Why do I look like a scruffy old hag in the graduation photos members of my family have placed on their mantle-pieces, but manage to look half decent in drunken photos of me clubbing?

And finally, why do I never see anyone remotely nice-looking at my campus when I am dressed respectably, but stumble into the path of a virtual adonis on the one day I have come into university in a tracksuit resembling a pair of glorifed pyjamas?

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I entirely agree with you. My graduation photos especially hideous. Life just likes mocking us I think, but at least you can write funny blog entries on this, and entertain the likes of me :) Surely this is consolation??

Westminster Blogger said...

Ha!
I think it's called sods law!
enjoying your blog... instead of revising!

Rosalind said...

definitely sods law! the first one particularly rings true at the minute. can't people tell that i'm in a hurry?! surely the marked expression of pure poison on my face would signal to them 'move'. no. they still get in my way and it just makes me even more angry!
i think its safe to say that right now, i have 'people rage'!
have a cool christmas!

Michael Scott said...

yeah like rach said sods law but yeah annoyingly true. I have another one similar to your meeting someone looking less than great and no one when dressed to impress and that is when you have a partner it seems easier to find admirers then when you dont.

have a good xmas!