Saturday, November 25, 2006

Laying Down the Law

As part of my course I am having to learn about the law in the context of what journalists can and cannot legally report.

This is proving significantly more complex than I had anticipated.

Firstly, I seem to have inherited selective narcolepsy. Unfortunately, the main trigger for a spontaneous and uncontrollable nap appears to be reading about journalism law.

This is becoming a considerable hindrance to my progress in understanding what on earth it all means. As soon as I am half way through a chapter of my book, I drop off, waking up a few hours later having had a terrifying nightmare about the impending law exam.

Secondly, what I have managed to successfully read and understand of the law with regards to journalism has scared me half to death.

If my understanding thus far is correct, then I find it very hard not to believe that prisons up and down the country are severely over-crowded with bewildered young hacks who have unwittingly commited contempt of court and still can't figure out how.

However, I am determined to master this law lark. It is clearly very important for young journalists to be acutely aware of our legal limits when venturing into the profession, where several tabloids will undoubtedly attempt to mislead us into reporting less than legal material for their own sensationalist gain, and then leave us to face the music of the courts.

I'm off now for a double espresso and a read!

4 comments:

zinkydays said...

He he, I've been suffering from law narcolepsy symptons as well, you are not alone. :-)

Do you think we'll put the price of coffee up with all this extra demand?

Chris Horrie said...

Journalists are sometime jailed for contempt, but fines are very frequent. As are libel settlements and actions. You're potential career would be pretty much de-railed if that happened to you. Any fool can dtring words together. Knowing how to write while skirting all these rocks required actual work. So perk up a bit.

Chris Horrie said...

arrgh - I can't back in to edit this for horrendous your vs you're. Can you change that for me, then delete this. Obviously my style of laying doen rough and then goping over perfecting and eliminating errors and typos doesn't work on blogs. Nightmare. Please change.

Chris said...

I think we all understand the importance of learning the law, but putting it last thing on friday ... It certainly tests our dedication!